Welcome to the Blog of Rosie Ison & her Scruffy Hairy Mutts.

I do hope you enjoy reading about all the various exploits of the Hairy Gang !

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

4 days later !

So following on from my last post.

I tried with the manners minder with some success, but she still wasnt "getting" it . I still had the turn to look at me and I wasnt happy with the result.

So I decided to mix the 2 x 2 training with the channel training. So I did a few repetitions with the 2 x 2 set wider so she was successful every time on her entries and I then set the 2 x 2 weaves up as a channel. This certainly had the desired effect. She was very focussed and happy. The channel was about 2-3 " apart and not only did she pick up the entries she ran through them fast and started to show a lovely swimming weave action.

The 2 x 2 weaves are extremely light so they didnt work too well as channels as they easily wobbled ( as can be seen on the video )
So I shall set my push in the ground ones up as a channel and then have the 2 x 2 weaves set up before.
We can then dip in and out of the different methods.
I now have a goal in sight and this is to have her straight line weaving by the end of the month. I am also going to train the 12 poles slightly differently as well. In the past I have trained the channels always on 12 poles. This time I am going to just train on 6 poles. The reason for this is its easier for her to get the criteria right and be more successful, easier for me to reward quickly and needs less verbal encouragement .

Only once she has mastered 6 straight uprights and is doing them consistently from all angles with a jump before and after will I add the second set of 6. I will then do exactly what they do in the 2 x 2 training. She will do 6 upright poles then a big 8-10' gap in between and then another 6 weaves. After a few repetitions the second set is bought closer and closer till eventually she is doing 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment