Welcome to the Blog of Rosie Ison & her Scruffy Hairy Mutts.

I do hope you enjoy reading about all the various exploits of the Hairy Gang !

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Pixel April 2016 and sad times.

I have a couple of weeks off from doing my contact training outside. Other things have taken priority, Some sad thoughts ( more on this later in the post ) and a small break down in Devon.

Yesterday was the first day we did the whole dog walk. I needed to find my low trestles to put my walk on and after un earthing them we started.

I started on the down plank to remind her and then gradually I took her further and further back on the dog walk.
This is where I hit a snag. She has been driving brilliantly to the Manner Minder, but once there was distance she slowed and even just turned and ran back to me at the end. I tried clicking and releasing the food just before, but then I was concerned that she would always get the reward no matter what.
So I sat down and deliberated on this for a while in the sunshine. I decided I would try her treat ball. She loves this and the velcro is very stiff and its really hard to open as its new.  I put a dull dog biscuit in it, but also had a supply of sausages in my pocket. If she missed she did still get the ball,  but I used a UH OH so she knew it was in correct, and I went and got the ball from her. Because of the stiff Velcro she couldn't open it and get the treat out.
We then  immediately tried again.  A hit meant she could get her ball, run around with it, try and open it which gave me time to get to her and then I'd help her open it and also give her mega reward of sausages and a game.
This seemed to work well and I was getting several really good hits. I ended on a positive note. Well apart from the blood trickling down my hand from where she has bitten me in excitement :-(

We then did 3 jump sequences and went indoors
Here are the latest videos :-)




Sad Thoughts 

We think the time has come for Disney to be  PTS :-(  In the last month things have become increasingly difficult for him. He is quite incontinent especially when sleeping so he has to wear a belly band and pad 24/7. That we can all cope with. However his back legs are getting weaker and weaker. If he is on any slippery surface then his back legs splay out and he ends up spread eagled on the floor and cant get up. We have found him like this on a few occasions and its very stressful for all concerned as he is crying and obviously very distressed.  Evenings are also difficult, he paces and pants all evening and I am unsure whether he is in pain ? He has Metacam in the morning and my guess is its wearing off during the evening and maybe that is the issue ?? He does however sleep all night.

My quandary is do we give him sleep now, while he still has some quality of life before he ends up maybe having some sort of crisis ? If I do we can choose the day, have the vet come to the house, carry him ourselves to the Crematorium , stay there and bring him home. Steve will be with me and everything will be calm. Or do we wait a month or two longer and risk he may take a sudden turn for the worse, maybe even during the night or away in the caravan and then everything will be panicky, stressful, maybe not even our own vet etc etc.

Its so hard. Because when he comes out for a short walk or I take him in the field he defies his age and even has a little run.
I just dont know which way to turn. He's 18 in a month and boy what a fab life he's had. Do I owe it to him to let him go with dignity ?? I have booked next week with my vet, but I just dont know what to do :-( :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment