Welcome to the Blog of Rosie Ison & her Scruffy Hairy Mutts.

I do hope you enjoy reading about all the various exploits of the Hairy Gang !

Monday, April 26, 2010

Show updates.

Well the show season has got into full swing.
First was the Easter Show at Ardingly. Terrible weather leading up to the show meant that we couldn't camp on any of the grass so we all had to pitch our caravans on the roadways. The whole show was moved indoors or into the outside sand schools. I was judging on the Saturday. I was dreading it because the forecast was for heavy rain and I was outside !!! I set up 2 nice flowing courses that would run through fairly quickly because of the forecast weather. As it was, although a little chilly the rain kept off all day. I actually had a great time judging. I had a lovely efficient ring party, I was given a lovely lunch and a super Argos voucher & Easter Egg as a thank-you gift.

On the Sunday I only ran Disney and Chip. Fozzie was just a week too young and Woody was still not fit enough.
Disney was a good boy and came 7th in his jumping class. Chip worked well but his waits were BAD !!! So I decided that on his last round I would do what I had done last year. If he didn't wait I will take him out of the ring. I queued for about 30 minutes in the freezing cold and drizzle, put him on the start line and right on cue as I walked off after his wait command he was up and off. So off I went right out the ring. I didn't tell him off or anything, however he didn't get his lead to play with either.


The next weekend was Wallingford show at Newbury, It was lovely weather, what a change from Easter.It was Fozzie's first proper KC show and I was soooo nervous.

I needn't have worried too much. He was hard work in the queue and wouldn't play. He was totally obsessed with the dogs working and was lunging and barking. I resorted to titbits and tricks to keep him focused on me. He was also a little distracted during the start line wait, but once we got started he was great. I only ran him in the jumping classes and unfortunately he did miss the weaves both times on his first attempt, but did them on the second. His jump style is still work in progress, but he did extend a little over some of the jumps.

Disney was a star again with 2 x 4th places. He also ran in a medium team with Karen and Todd, Nancy and Zeki, Jennie and Stella. They were all fantastic and ended up in 2nd place.
Chip was great. He WAITED !!!!!! He also did some superb work with just a single pole down in most classes. Chip is such fun to work now. He's become very powerful and responsive. He had a slight mishap in his last run. For some unknown reason he gt his footing wrong going over the long jump and ended up almost landing on his head. I'm not sure what he did as I just saw him on the ground and then getting up. Others looking on said he really did take a tumble. Fortunately he is fine, but I did rest him for a couple of days just in case.
Poor Woody though. His first proper run after months of rehab turned into not such a triumph. He started off so well, but misjudged a jump and knocked it badly. After that he measured every jump. This is not unusual for Woody who has always been sensitive when he's knocked jumps and I put it also down to maybe him still not being 100% fit. The next day I ran him but pulled him out of the class after 5 jumps as I still wasn't happy.

Last weekend was the WBSDS show also at Newbury.
I was very pleased with Fozzie. Much more focused. I decided to do both the jumping and agility classes with him. He missed the weaves entry in all but one of the 4 classes & in that class he had a pole down. Several people thought he was jumping better, but there's still room for improvement. I have included a little video of 3 of his rounds including one agility round where the judge eliminated everyone who stopped their dogs on contacts and praised them !!!!!!!!! He had had loads of faults anyway, but imagine if he hadn't.

Disney once again excelled. He got a 3rd in Gd 7 jumping and 8th in Grade 1-7 jumping.
Chip was on fire. Great waits and he got 8th in an extremely tricky Grade 6 agility class and 6th in Grade 6 jumping. However I was most pleased with him in his other agility class. He was eliminated in the class, but he did the fastest dogwalk I have ever known him do and I was even behind him. He flew across it and did a perfect position at the end..WHAT A BOY !!!! I have to say that made my day.
I don't have any video of Chip or Disney's rounds as I was only really concentrating on getting Fozzies and Woody's rounds recorded.

Woody, however is my saddest tale. He is clearly not jumping well. He starts off ok but after about 4 or 5 jumps he starts to tuck up and measure. He has either hurt his back or its his shoulder injury or it could still be a fitness thing. I have him booked into to Marissa the Chiropractor on Friday just in case he has hurt his back. Dependent on what she says is to whether he returns to agility or whether I retire him. He was so happy to be working again, but I want him to enjoy life, especially his walks, and if that means no agility then so be it.
I have got his runs on video but I'm not sure I want to watch them over again.
I have however put the video of Fozzie on here.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie

    He done some very good work, he did get the weaves when you held back a bit.

    Jo & Josh

    ReplyDelete