Welcome to the Blog of Rosie Ison & her Scruffy Hairy Mutts.

I do hope you enjoy reading about all the various exploits of the Hairy Gang !

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Poor Fozzie AGAIN !!

You may all recall on my blog back in April reading about Fozzies bad experience at the Easter show when he was 6 mths old. Just to recap he was badly attacked ring side by a Border Terrier, Fozzie sustained a very bad bite on his nose and abrasions to his lip. I reported it and have since heard that the owner got a tap on the hand and a fine of £50..big :censored: deal !! My Fozzie recovered very well although initially if a bouncy dog with a dark face approached him he did try and snap at it a little. Over the past 6 months Fozzie had gone from strength to strength and I had forgotten about his trauma. As anyone who knows him knows, he is a confident puppy and was approaching all dogs happily and in a very friendly manor.

Well yesterday and this morning all that could have changed :(
Last night Fozzie started his big boy agility classes. he was brill and all was going well until a black dog ran for the ball his owner had thrown him(which unfortunately landed by Fozzies feet) and the dog rushed in to get his ball & really growled at Fozzie. After that Fozzie got very worried by all the dark faced dogs in the class !!!

Then on my walk this morning ( an hr earlier than normal cause of work ) a black GSD had a go at him. I was coming round some bushes ,the dogs went round first, and suddenly I heard this scream. I ran round to see Fozzie disappearing screaming down the lane, and the guy hastily putting his dog on the lead.
I was too worried about Fozzie to ask the guy for his name . Fortunately Fozzie ran into an entrance leading to a field and then back tracked to me. However if he'd continued he'd have run onto a busy road and who know what the outcome would have been. By the time I had got Fozzie back the guy was long gone !!!

Fortunately there was no physical injury to Fozzie just mental. I now fear Fozzie will become a fear biter having had 3 bad experiences in his first year and 2 incidents of hostility within 24 hrs. !!

To say I am upset would be an understatement. My Disney has always been nervous of other dogs since he was also attacked by 2 dogs at a very similar age. Disney will never ever start anything but if a dog sniffs him, he'll react and ask questions later !!
I just pray I don't have a repeat of this with Fozzie.

FIRST AGILITY CLASS


However on a brighter note ,I was overjoyed with him at his first agility class.
It was a very hyper group (to say the least !!!) 6 dogs in the group and 4 of them real barkers and screamers(this probably didn't help the atmosphere amongst the dogs!!)
Fozzie was EXTREMELY keen and enthusiastic. The dog walk was set low on trestles and the instructor suggested trying him with a target pot at the end. Well Fozzie flew over the contact,no hesitation at all on the down plank and on the 2nd attempt even stopped in an almost perfect position. I don't want to rely on the target pot as its not a method I have previously used, but I am going to use a variation of this eventually !!!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Fozzie! It is something I worry about all the time (along with most everything else!) with my young dogs and the reason I don't train in many classes. Fingers crossed he will be OK as he was so sweet as a pup and it will be so unfair if this affects his lovely temperment.

    ReplyDelete